Spittin In Da Wip is monthly competition showcase series on wheels. It’s a competition where emcees are judged on their performance to determine the winner.
Emcee’s/competitors do an interview in the back seat of a car for a quick interview with the show’s creator/ host/executive producer, Crazy Al Cayne then select a beat to spit to.
Emcee’s select a beat name which is originally produced by Sugar Cayne and when the beat comes on the emcee’s have to rhyme to it. The tricky part is the emcee’s do not get to pre screen the beats, they have to spit to whatever comes on.
No matter what the beat sounds like whether it’s good or bad the emcee has to spit to it and yes there are some really bad beats in the selection 🙂 The beats are around 4 minuets long.
Each month the top rated emcee’s will receive an award. The ratings are done by the Spittin In Da Wip staff to determine a more accurate rating.
There are different criteria that we rate the performances to determine who the top emcees are.
- Delivery: This criteria is based on an emcee’s ability to deliver their bars. We can hear what your spittin but can we feel it and can you keep it up for the whole beat?
- Content: This criteria is based on the content that the emcee is talking about. Is it deep? Is it imaginative? Is it conscious? Is it creative? All of those factors and more go into how we rate Content. If your not talking about much in your rhyme or your not creative with your content, you won’t be getting a very high rating in this criteria.
- Lyrical Skill: This criteria is based on how the emcee’s put their words together, their flow, the complexity of the flow. Stumbling over your words, going off beat and other factors can have a negative effect on your lyrical skill rating
- Stamina: Based on the emcee’s ability to rock the whole beat. The beats are about 4mins so there’s plenty of time for emcee’s to spit as many bars as they want. But if you have to stop and think about what rhyme to say next or take too long to start your vers, you won’t be getting many Stamina points.
- Freestyle Bonus: This criteria is based on an emcee’s freestyle. The length and quality of the freestyle are also factors to the rating. Remember all the other criteria’s apply to the freestyle so make sure you bring your best bars. Don’t try to be a hero and spit some garbage freestyle and think your gonna rank high because you did a free. BUT doing a freestyle increases your chances of getting a better overall rating so we suggest you do a few bars of a freestyle to get some extra points. ALWAYS BRING YOUR A++ GAME!
- What do we consider a “Freestyle”? A freestyle is not pre-written or memorized……it spontaneous, fresh bars off the top of your head.
Spittin In Da Wip was created by Crazy Al Cayne in 2008. It was part of the Crazy Al Cayne TV(CAC-TV) series which aired on cable access in NYC and Long Island.
Spittin In Da Wip got nation wide exposure when it’s episodes were featured on BET’s “The Deal” in 2010
Spittin In Da Wip has had HipHop legends featured on the show such as:
- Milk Dee
- Mic Geronimo
- Dana Dane
- LynQue (Isis of the X-Clan)
- Treach (Naughty By Nature)
- Masta Ace
- DoItAll (Lords Of The Underground)
- Hakim Green (Channel Live)
- Monie Love
- Phife Dawg (A Tribe Called Quest)
- Chip Fu (Fu-Schnickens)
- Sadat X (Band Nubian)
The Show Also had a few celebrity and comedian appearances like
- Affion Crockett (Actor/Comedian/Emcee)
- Jay Pharoah (Saturday Night Live)
- Freeze Love (Comedian)
- Rob Cantrell (Comedian)
Some of the most popular battle emcees appeared on the show:
- Charlie Clips
- Hollow Da Don
- Lady Luck
The show also had an emcee named K.Dot on the show who later became known as Kendrick Lamar
Plus the show featured The Astronomical Kid (Astro) a year before he was featured on the popular show The X Factor
Spittin In Da Wip also featured major label artist and some of today’s best underground emcee’s such as:
- Mike Jones
- Homeboy Sandman
- Paul Wall
- Nitty Scott
- Jay Rock (TDE)
- Priest Forever
- Napoleon Da Legend
- John O
- John Robinson
- Big Rec
- Sav Killz
The roots run deep.
HOW TO GET ON THE SHOW:
We currently film in the New York City area but we do go out of town to other city’s to film episodes as well. We’ll make an announcement when we do.
-Spit your A++++ bars
-No Wackness In Da Wip
-Rap for the whole beat (approx 4min)
-No matter what the beat sounds like you have to GO IN!!
-Please come with original/exclusive bars
-You can spit a written, freestyle or fritten(combo of the two)